Charcoal barbecuehenrylapps July 5, 2020
For many years, charcoal barbecues have become the perfect companion for those who liked to cook outdoors. Today, many restaurants continue to serve food cooked with charcoal. But for what reason? How many advantages do they have? Does it taste so good to the meat?
The best charcoal barbecues:
We present you a complete review of the top rated charcoal barbecues. Find out!
What are the advantages of charcoal barbecues?
Until not long ago, cooking with charcoal barbecues was common. And although over time people have opted for other options, the truth is that a barbecue that uses coal today is much more recommended than other models:
- It is very economical: There are dozens of models on the market, which adapt to the needs of each person. Of course there are models that are expensive, but there are others that are quite cheap and interesting.
- Your fuel is cheaper: The time when buying coal was almost prohibitive has come to an end. In addition, it is much healthier now that charcoal is used for this type of barbecue.
- It has a high calorific value: Although gas or electricity can reach high temperatures of approximately 300º, nothing comes close to the calorific value of coal. This can reach a temperature of up to 500º, perfect for roasting.
- Easy to transport: Charcoal barbecues are much easier to transport from one place to another. In other types, such as gas, you have to think about the barbecue plus the bottle. It can be carried anywhere without taking up much space.
- Different nuances to the flavor of the meat: Depending on the type of charcoal used, the meat gets a unique and different flavor. As if that were not enough, the smoke generated by the coals also helps the meat flavor to become something special, with a texture that cannot be achieved with other types of barbecues.
- You can cook with firewood: Just because it is a charcoal barbecue does not mean that you should only use charcoal. Many people use firewood to make their dishes in these fantastic barbecues, and enjoy a great chat with that pleasant smell of burned firewood.
- Different cooking levels: Most modern models of charcoal barbecues allow you to raise, or lower, the charcoal bed level, as well as the racks where meat and vegetables are placed. Thanks to this, different cooking levels can be achieved at different speeds.
- Easy to clean: Until recently, cleaning a charcoal barbecue could be a real headache. However, today many of them have a “one-touch” function, which allows quick and efficient cleaning in a short time.
What do you have to look at when buying a charcoal barbecue?
Choosing a barbecue is quite complicated, since each person needs specific characteristics to meet their needs. However, there are a number of common characteristics to look for when buying a charcoal barbecue:
- Barbecue or grill … don’t get confused !: Many people think that a grill is the same as a barbecue, when in reality they are very different. If you go to the store and see a barbecue without a lid, it is not a barbecue. It is what is known as a grill. The barbecues have a lid, to cover the ingredients and to be made with the heat of the interior. Even if you use charcoal, if it doesn’t have a lid, a charcoal grill won’t interest you much.
- Will you take it with you ?: Choosing one of the many charcoal barbecue models on the market will depend on the type of use you are going to give it. If you are going to take the barbecue with you when you travel, you will be interested in a model that has wheels. On the other hand, if it is for your terrace, or garden, you can save by buying a fixed barbecue.
- What type of fuel will you use ?: Be very careful here. It is true that most models are mixed and allow firewood and charcoal to be used for heat. However, some models are exclusively for use with coal. You will have to ask before buying it. We explain how to choose the best barbecue charcoal and to obtain a truly professional result.
- How much are you willing to spend ?: When looking at charcoal barbecue catalogs you will see that there are many prices. Actually, do you need to buy the most expensive model? Of course not, because you can go for somewhat cheaper models. If it is for a garden, or when you travel, buying a small charcoal barbecue will have more than enough. For the garden, if you like to make family meals, you should still look for a larger design.
Where should you locate your charcoal barbecue?
Before proceeding to buy a charcoal barbecue, you have to think, do you have enough space to have it? Not all houses offer you the space to have one. So, what do you need to take into account to locate your barbecue?
- Wind direction: Generally, the wind direction does not play an important role when using charcoal barbecues, since it closes the lid so that the meat is done better. But what if you tried to cook with the lid open? Wind can be a major inconvenience in the process, so you have to look for an isolated area, or in which the air currents are not very large.
- Find an area near a tree: You have to be very careful with this. It’s nice to cook on the barbecue near a tree, but you don’t have to stick to it. It is necessary to find a point where it is possible to be under its branches cooking, but at a prudent distance so that, if an ember jumps, a fire does not start.
- A protected area that isolates noise: Not all the residents find the commotion that can be made when making a barbecue pleasant. For this reason you have to have fences or bushes that isolate the noise.
- The perfect size: It is usually recommended that the area where a barbecue is located, whether in the garden or on the terrace, is at least 10 square meters, thus having enough space to comfortably enjoy cooking in your fantastic appliance.
- Will the smoke disturb me ?: Think that barbecues generate a lot of smoke, and that it will move with the wind. For this reason you have to locate it far from doors or windows, to prevent odors from penetrating at home. Also, it is not good to cook right next to where you are going to eat, because it will make your guests uncomfortable.
- In garden or terrace ?: Certainly, having a charcoal barbecue makes you have to think a lot about the best place to install it. You can have it in the garden, but it must be located on a flagstone floor and free of vegetation. On the terrace it is always a better option, but this has to give a clear area and that the wind does not come from the front, to prevent smoke from penetrating inside the home.
- How about a kitchen barbecue ?: Today there are some models of barbecue that can be installed in kitchens and prepare dishes as they were done in the past. Why not try them?
Is it easy to clean a charcoal barbecue?
Many people find the idea of buying a charcoal barbecue a bit backward because they are difficult to clean. However, the most modern models allow easy, fast cleaning and save a lot of time in the process.
The steps to follow to clean a charcoal barbecue are:
- Start by removing the ash and the remains of embers that have remained after the roast. These may be somewhat stuck to the walls of the barbecue, so you will have to use a spatula to remove them.
- Once all the ash has been removed, it is time to get rid of the remains of the food that may have stuck. For this you can use special brushes for barbecues. In addition, in the stores there are also special liquids for this process. Some are specific to according to which barbecue model.
- Having removed everything, it is better to let the barbecue dry in the open. Or you can use a dry cloth to remove the remains of the cleaning product.
How often do you have to clean a charcoal barbecue? The truth is that the ideal would be to clean it well after each use. But if you do it once a month it should be enough to keep it in good condition. If you remove the food remains, preventing them from sticking, the area of the embers can be cleaned less frequently.
Are they better than other barbecues?
Certainly, charcoal barbecues have many advantages, and in some ways beats other barbecue models. For example, the calorific value is certainly higher, and the smell of burned firewood is pleasant. In addition, it gives a different texture to the meat. And, of course, it is much easier to transport, not needing a strong external power supply to operate.
But perhaps its biggest drawback is controlling the amount of coal. With an electric or gas you don’t have to think about controlling the amount of coal you have left. Maybe it’s a snag. Still, the appeal of these barbecues is that you can experiment with different types of charcoal until you find the one that gives the meat the best flavor according to your personal taste.