Built-in barbecuehenrylapps July 5, 2020
Would you like to have a beautiful and precious brick barbecue in the garden of your house? Without a doubt they are the best there is for meetings with friends. However, are you sure they are what you need? Shouldn’t you know a little more before?
Types of construction barbecue
Before thinking about buying a barbecue, do you know that there are two types? Those with bells and those without. Each one covers a series of needs. However, what are the differences between one and the other?
- Barbecue with hood: These better channel the air, which helps to create better combustion and smoke conduction. In addition, sparks that may be generated can be better controlled. They turn out to be quite practical, since the smoke does not go directly to the face. On the other hand, these tend to be more aesthetically beautiful and with more defined finishes.
- Barbecue without hood: It helps to have a better vision of the food that is being cooked, since there are no barriers that prevent the vision of what is being cooked. This helps you to cook the dishes better. However, the smoke goes directly to the face, which can be annoying.
What advantages does this type of construction barbecue offer you?
Surely you have already looked at several projects to build a built-in barbecue. But are the advantages it offers just what you need? Get to know them!
- Its main advantage is the size, being able to build it in the way and with the design that is to the taste of the owner.
- Since they are made of brick, stone or clay, they are usually more durable than coal or gas models.
- They are quite comfortable, since they will always be assembled and ready for a barbecue.
- Due to its large size, you can cook a lot of food when you have meetings with several people.
- They do not require much maintenance and are easy to clean.
- For combustion, charcoal or firewood is used, so you will have the same as in a charcoal barbecue but much more durable.
- It can be integrated into the environment if it is made with the same materials as the house.
How to know if a construction barbecue is for you
Having a barbecue is the floor of every outdoor food lover. Now, are you sure you could not buy a better style? This is what you have to consider before buying a brick barbecue!
- Space: It is true that there are small construction barbecues, but the best of this type is that they are large to fully enjoy their potential. If you have a large garden, or a lot of land, you shouldn’t worry. But if it is small, you should look at other options.
- Budget: No, don’t worry. Nowadays, construction barbecues are quite cheap. You will easily find models that are around 50-70 euros, but they are very basic. A good brick barbecue can cost more than 1,000 euros. That yes, once assembled you will have a barbecue for life.
- Use: More in the frequency of use, when thinking about buying a built-in barbecue or not, you have to think, where do you like to barbecue? Do you like doing them more at home or going to the country and doing it there with friends? Remember that these barbecues are fixed and cannot be moved.
- Style: Once you have decided if you want a work barbecue with a hood or without a hood, it is time to choose the style. There are two models: modern and vintage. The retro style is an exact representation of the barbecues of the early twentieth century, but with the comforts of modern models. Instead, modern ones have a more striking aesthetic.
What will be the best location for your built-in barbecue?
The great advantage of mobile barbecues is that you can change them whenever you want, until you find the most suitable one. But it will not be the case of a built-in barbecue. So in this case you will have to think a lot about where you are going to install it.
You should avoid being near doors or windows at all costs. If it is a barbecue with a hood, which helps send the fumes to the sky, there will be no problem. But what if you buy one without a hood? All fumes can end up inside the house and it is very annoying.
It should also not be installed near the area where your guests eat. It is true that it is nice to receive the smell of food on the barbecue, but not the smoke. Also avoid being near a pool area. The floor of the barbecue area should be made of flagstone, to avoid that if any sparks jump it could cause a fire.
I want to paint my barbecue, is it difficult?
You may not like the color of your new work barbecue, or over time you will get bored of the color it has. In that case, what can you do? Well, paint it yourself! Painting a work barbecue is very easy, and we will explain step by step how to do it:
- Delimit the area you want to paint, using bodybuilder tape or a thick tape that allows you to separate the areas you are going to paint.
- To close the pores of the concrete blocks you will have to put a fixing water base before starting to paint.
- With everything ready, it’s time to paint. For the corners use a thick brush, while the larger surface is better to use a roller. Thanks to the fixer, the paint will stick.
- You will have to wait until the paint dries before continuing. Once dry, apply a second coat with a special exterior paint, first with the brush and then with the roller.
- Dried the paint, remove the tape and apply a special effect to the concrete of your barbecue. Thanks to this it will seem that your barbecue is completely new.
How to clean a construction barbecue
It is not necessary to clean the barbecue on site every two by three. In fact, with annual maintenance you can have a life partner. Now, it is recommended that you do at least a little maintenance.
To clean it you have to use coffee grounds, oil and newspaper. With the help of a brush, remove all the ashes from the barbecue. Now clean that area, put newspaper. Using the coffee grounds, rub the newspapers and grill, so you can remove any fat that is embedded. The remains will be on the newspaper.
Finally, using the oil you have to go through each of the bars of the grill. This will help them not to rust. A process that will take you only half an hour and you will have it shining, as if it were new.
How to make a brick barbecue
Although there are companies that can assemble your built-in barbecue, what if you want to make an authentic homemade barbecue? You don’t have to be very handy to assemble the barbecue you have bought.
Materials you will need:
- Glue gun
- Putty (to withstand high temperatures)
Assemble a built-in barbecue step by step:
- Once you have chosen a level and rigid place (it should not be loose or very soft earth) you should place the base of the barbecue with a ribbon. Fix the pieces to the ground using putty.
- Then you have to mount the sink part, the work area and the grill part. Putty is the best to fix it, but you must also join each piece with a little cement to guarantee its resistance.
- Waiting for the structure to dry a little, place the grill (remember that it must be adapted to the shape of your grill).
- The chimney, the hood, the leak and the fans need to be installed. Some models may not have a hood or fans, it all depends on the money you have decided to spend on your barbecue.