BBQ calçotshenrylapps July 12, 2020
In Catalonia, when it comes to barbecue, there is a dish that is never missing: calçots. The best way to eat them is with a good barbecue, and they are also very easy to make. Do we explain the recipe?
Ingredients for preparing barbecued calçots
- 10 calçots per person
- 2 red tomatoes
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 small dried seeds
- 25 grams of toasted almonds
- 1 slice of fried bread
- Extra virgin olive oil.
Preparation of romesco sauce
Before you think about going for a barbecue of calçots, shouldn’t you prepare a sauce to accompany them? The best is romesco sauce! And to make it, follow the following steps:
- Put the ñoras to soak the night before, in a large amount of water. In the event that you do not have much time, at least you will have to have them two hours to soak.
- Heat the oven to 180º C for about 10-15 minutes to bring the temperature down. Then peel the garlic cloves and together with the tomatoes put them in the oven for about 20 minutes, to roast them well.
- In what is done in the oven, you remove the meat from the lady, with great care. You can buy the fried bread ready or you can do it yourself. If you prepare it on your own, remember that you will need to place it on a tray with absorbent paper so that it releases the excess oil.
- Almonds can also be bought toasted. But in the event that they are tender, fry them a little in a pan with a little olive oil, until they take on a good color.
- With all the ingredients ready, you put them into the crusher and begin to crush, along with a drizzle of olive oil and vinegar, plus a small teaspoon of salt. Crush everything and you will see how a creamy mixture is formed.
- Check the taste. If you see that it is too thick for your taste, you can add more vinegar or olive oil. Check the salt point to rectify it if necessary. When it is ready, you should let it rest for at least an hour in the fridge.
Preparation of calçots on the barbecue
- First of all you are going to have to light the barbecue. If it is charcoal or firewood, you already know that it will take a long time to heat up. Instead, a gas or electric one will be ready soon. The best one to prepare this dish is the charcoal one.
- Once the charcoal is red hot, place the calçots between the two grids. You can put several calçots at the same time.
- Seeing that the coals are ready, then bring the calçots to the fire, but do not touch them directly. Wait until the calçot has a few drops of water, at which point you will have to turn it over.
- Repeat the process with all the calçots until you have them all done. As you remove them from the fire, wrap them with newspaper, so that they keep the heat better until they are all.
It only remains to bathe in the romesco sauce and start eating them!